[Gpg4win-devel] Building Gpg4win with cygwin/MinGW

sascha.teichmann@intevation.de sascha.teichmann at intevation.de
Wed Jul 25 16:15:17 CEST 2007

Hi together!

Being told to build Gpg4win under Windows XP/SP2
I set up a cygwin/MinGW environment to 'emulate' the
cross compiling process how it is done under GNU/Linux.

After tweaking the installation a bit (installing hyperlatex
into tetex, manually installed NSIS) the creation of the
PDF documentation succeed.

Now I'm on the real compilation. My main orientation is [1].
After checking out SVN, downloading the packages and
./autogen.sh things become more difficult.

The original GNU/Linux description states:

$ ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --host=i586-mingw32msvc

Cygwin has no cross compiler for host i586-mingw32msvc.
You can choose between i686-pc-mingw32 and i686-pc-cygwin.
Without any further flags the *-cygwin platform would be used
which links against the cygwin emulation layer. This is
not what I want.

Choosing the *-mingw platform is said to generate native
Windows binaries. This is not a real cross compilation so
I set the --build instead of the --host option. Setting host
results in errors of the missing cross compiler
(i686-pc-mingw32-gcc: Command not found)

$ export CPPFLAGS=" -D__MINGW32__ -D_WIN32 -DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN"
$ ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --build=i686-pc-mingw32

(Setting the pre-processor flags should not be necessary)

Unfortunately the compiling stops  already when it comes to the
W32PTH library because some enums are already defined.
I think I can work around this by inserting a few #ifdef's.
Fixing each package one by one would be very painful and tedious job.

- Maybe I make a conceptional mistake?
- Maybe I choose the wrong setup?
- Maybe I should I build a i586-mingw32msvc cross compiler by hand first
  and build gpg4win with this? (I have not found a already build one yet)

What do you think?

Regards,
  Sascha

[1] http://www.gpg4win.de/build-installer.html

--
teichmann at intevation.de - http://intevation.de
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998