[Gpg4win-devel] Some results of playing around with 1.9.0-SVN544

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 8 17:52:47 CEST 2007

At Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:59:17 +0200,
Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I played around with 1.9.0-svn544, here are some comments:
>
> - GpgEX: The german Umlauts in the menus are missing.

Yes.  I have to find out the right encoding for the de.po file and
convert it.

> - Gpg4win system menu: There should be already now a menu entry for starting
>   up Kleopatra.

Kleopatra server should be started by its clients transparently,
similar to gpg-agent.  Only if Kleopatra also has a stand-alone
functionality that should be added as a menu entry.

One reason we do not start it as a server transparently yet is the
same reason that it is in the bin\ directory (see below).  The other
is that we just did not get there yet.

> - GpgEX: I can not execute the "sign" operation. A Message says something like
>   "Could not access Kleopatra. Sie protocol file".
>   First thing is that the dialog should tell where the protocol file can be found.
>   Next, of course, it would be good to have this operation working ;-)

The protocol file is specified by a registry setting (and lack of that
setting means no protocol file is generated).  This is only useful for
development/debugging.  The registry key is currently "GpgEX Debug
File" under HKLM\Software\GNU\GnuPG.  Note that once everything is
working properly, the message box should never occur.

"Sign" of files is not functional in the current binmary snapshot of
Kleopatra.  Nor is encrypt, btw, or any beside decrypt and verify.

> - Kleopatra/Gpg4win: Any particular reason why Kleopatra is the only exe-file
>   that is installed in the bin\ subdirectory?

It's not, dbus-daemon accompanies it.  Here a quote from my internal
communication:

"dbus-daemon can not be relocated from the "bin" directory to the
 installation root directory (INSTDIR) (but we do not know why yet).
 It appears that kleopatra and dbus-daemon have to be in the same
 directory (at least without any further tweaks) and thus I moved
 dbus-daemon and kleopatra to the bin directory as a temporary
 workaround.

 I tried various environment settings to work around the INSTDIR vs
 INSTDIR\bin inconsistency, but did not find a satisfactory solution.
 So, for the time being, with the installer, there is exactly one way
 to start Kleopatra: You have to be in the INSTDIR directory and run
 "bin\kleopatra.exe".  This is awkward, but good enough to get it
 running for a demonstration and testing, for example:

 C:\Program Files\GNU\GnuPG> bin\kleopatra.exe --uiserver-socket C:\S.uiserver

 [...]

 Tentatively, I believe the dbus problem is best fixed by figuring out
 how to make dbus work when started from INSTDIR.  This does not seem
 to be urgent."

Thanks,
Marcus