[Gpg4win-devel] Towards the public 1.9.0 BETA release

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Wed Apr 16 11:53:57 CEST 2008

Hello gpg4win developers,

IMHO it is now time to get the comprehensive progress that
happened in the past 10 months to the public in form of
a 1.9.0 BETA release.

I identified the following TODOs for this release. Please add more
in case I forgot some.

 * Cleanup README-BETA-de.txt
    (http://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/doc/README-BETA-de.txt?root=gpg4win&view=markup)
    [ I can take care of this ]

 * Translate README-BETA-de.txt into english (-> README-BETA-en.txt)
    [ I can take care of this ]

 * Add a BETA Download section on http://www.gpg4win.de/download-de.html
   and http://www.gpg4win.de/download.html.
   [ I have a draft here, not checked in yet ]

* Prepare a announcement E-Mail for gpg4win-announce, english and german.
   [ I can create a draft, partly derived from the README-BETA ]

* Decide the name of the release: I propose to have "1.9.0" and then continue
   with "1.9.1" etc. rather then apply the currently used scheme "1.9.0-svnNNN".
   [ opinions appreciated ]

* What about Checksums and OpenPGP signatures for the BETA versions?
   Should we offer them?
   If yes, directly below the download button on the download page or
   on this page: http://www.gpg4win.de/package-integrity.html ?
   The latter would lead to the fact that information about the BETA is manage
   in more than one place.
   [ opinions appreciated ]

* Timeline: I'd like to get the BETA out in April, preferably next week.

* Further updates of modules before BETA?
   * A new GpgOL is scheduled already with various cleanups. I guess
      it is available very soon. Werner?
   * A new Kleopatra seems to make sense as well. Currently it is being
     worked on continously and any week adds more functionality or other
     improvements.

* What about the future of these releases (they are quite big because
   of the debug code) and of the corresponding source tar-balls?
   Should we keep them available forever or should 1.9.0 be deleted
   once 1.9.1 is available?

* [ what else to consider ? ]

All the best

	Jan