[Gpg4win-devel] xnames in the manual

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Fri Oct 10 12:47:27 CEST 2008

On Dienstag, 30. September 2008, Werner Koch wrote:
> The new compendium uses the xnames feature for easier linking to section
> in the HTML version:
>
>   \xname{warum-ueberhaupt-verschluesseln}
>   \chapter{Warum überhaupt verschlüsseln?}
>   \label{ch:why}
>
> Unfortunately these xnames are in German.  Changing them to English
> would make translations of the manual easier and allow to crosslink to
> other language versions of the compendium.  English is already used for
> some labels, so me thinks that we should change the xnames before we do
> a final release.

labels are internal only while xnames are visible to the user.

It was impression that it makes sense to have xnames as close to the node
names as possible. Translations may not aloways make sense when done 1:1
and you will get problems to related a filename to the actual chapter.
And what happens if an english chapter name changes? Should all translations
follow this change? This could create consistency problems because it is not
so easy to make follow up changes in other languages.

With crosslinking you mean, when I visit a german page for node X, I can not
easily jump to another language of node X?
Thats true. But IMHO the other benefits weight more.

Best

	Jan