[Gpg4win-devel] xnames in the manual

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Mon Oct 13 13:10:59 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am still not convinced.
However, it is even more important to get out the compendium.
I do not want to delay finalization by continuing xnames discussion.
Therfore please go ahead and change to english names or to something
language-independent.

On Montag, 13. Oktober 2008, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:47, jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de said:
> > labels are internal only while xnames are visible to the user.
>
> But only as URLs and that is something a user does not realy care about.
> URLs are usually just clicked or cut+pasted, so the actual language does
> not matter.  Often URLs atre only disntingisghed by a number or some hex
> string.

then, instead of potentially misleading URLs, we should at least apply
names that have no meaning at all (only the first letters of each word or
something like this) (?)

I am pretty sure, users will care - BTW. But I can't proove.

> > names as possible. Translations may not aloways make sense when done 1:1
> > and you will get problems to related a filename to the actual chapter.
>
> Well, but it is unlikely that you change the structure of a book
> (i.e. the arrangement of chapters) depending on the language.

yes. But in fact I meant the title, not the structure.