[Gpg4win-devel] Version numbering for svn or own builds (was: Claws Mail status)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 14 09:24:40 CEST 2008

Werner,

On Dienstag, 30. September 2008, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:14, colin at colino.net said:
> > There's http://www.claws-mail.org/win32/gpg4win-light-1.9.8-svn929.exe
>
> I do such build also from time to time.  Now that we are several parties
> who build instalers we should figure out a naming scheme so that we know
> what the users actually installed.  The version number is actually the
> version number of the installer and does not indicate which programs are
> actually included.
>
> What about simply renaming the installer after a build to say:
>
>   gpg4win-light-1.9.8-svn929_colin_with-the-latest-and-best-claws-1.2.3.exe

>   gpg4win-1.9.8.exe
>   gpg4win-light-1.9.8.exe
>   gpg4win-src-1.9.8.exe
>
> for "official" build, which are those prominently linked from
> gpg4win.org.
>
> Comments?

I also agree it is important to reserve the names for official builds,
thanks for the initiative Werner!

In addition to the svnXYZ we could use qualifiers like "beta" or "alpha"
or "experimental". I think "experimental" would be best for windows users
as it sound more dangerous than "beta".

Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)