[Gpg4win-devel] xnames in the manual

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 14 09:32:06 CEST 2008

On Montag, 13. Oktober 2008, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Montag, 13. Oktober 2008, Werner Koch wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:47, jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de said:
> > > labels are internal only while xnames are visible to the user.
> >
> > But only as URLs and that is something a user does not realy care about.

Usability studies show that URLs are important, see the update section of
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990321.html

> > URLs are usually just clicked or cut+pasted, so the actual language does
> > not matter.  Often URLs atre only disntingisghed by a number or some hex
> > string.
>
> then, instead of potentially misleading URLs, we should at least apply
> names that have no meaning at all (only the first letters of each word or
> something like this) (?)
>
> I am pretty sure, users will care - BTW. But I can't proove.

I believe Jan's feeling is right here and backed up by studies.
My suggestion is to have URLs which are meaning full, so unless we go
compendium/3.1/section1.2  we should do the section names in each language.
When we change section names, we should keep old URLs around, but
have a header and footer saying that there is a new one or bringing people
to the overview of HTML documentation page.

Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)