[Gpg4win-devel] claws extensions

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 22 14:53:33 CEST 2008

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Not using the native packaging system of a platform
> is a very important drawback.

This could be true, but only if the native packaging system is appropriate.

I can not imagine that for example the "Add or Remove Programs" dialog in the
control panel scales well to more than maybe 50 packages.  I have two dozens and
it already is a crowded place.

Debian 4.0 contains about 10.100 source and 18.000 binary packages.  Even
gpg4win alone contains more components than a typical windows install will have
entries in the packages control panel.

Clearly, the user interface would be inappropriate for such a packaging project,
and it would also be interesting to know how well the MSI database scales to
such sizes.  With MSI, every file needs a unique OID.  Typical number of files
in a Debian system is 350.000.  Typical file count in a Windows system is maybe
20.000 (although my system may not be typical, so let's say 35.000).

With a factor of 10 in the number of files and a factor of 1000 in the number of
packages, aren't we comparing oranges with apples here?

Thanks,
Marcus