[Gpg4win-devel] claws extensions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 29 13:12:53 CET 2008

On Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2008, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:39, bernhard at intevation.de said:
> > Not using the native packaging system of a platform
> > is a very important drawback.
>
> With the same argument I may state that not using the standard SDK of
> the platform is a very important drawback too.

Not as important. (As can be seen from various factors.)
Also I am not using this as the last argument, just a heavy one,
so it is not end of the discussion.

> If you start to get into this you will soon end up with a standard
> Windows application which requires a completely proprietary tool chain
> as well as proprietary (but distributable) libraries to be delivered
> with the package.

No - as I do not want to go there and there is no good pile of reasons
to go there. Still for the installer this might be different.
However I am not using any arguments that win the whole outcome of the
discussion and so you should not do this either. :)

> The goal is to bring Free Software to Windows and not just to lock in
> people and developers to the Windows world.

I completely agree on the goal. That is why we have the argument,
because we want to find the best way doing so.
You have added now that using the MSI installer (the native packaging system)
could set a bad example for other decisions for Free Software products on
windows. It is a known argument, though I do not rank it quite high because
I do not see how it really raises the pressure significantly for the SDK.

Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)