[Gpg4win-devel] OL2003 cannot do AES?!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 4 12:03:59 CET 2009

We did some testing with Gpg4win 1.9.13beta+SVN and its GpgOL (G)
sending emails back and forth towards Outlook's native S/MIME support.

Let me call it
* Outlook 2003 (O3)
* Outlook 2007 (O7)

A lot of stuff works nicely with this upcoming version.
(O3 and O7 still sends x-pkcs7-X and Werner changed Gpgol to also accept this
old deprecated style.)

Sending encrypted Email from G to O3 with default settings lead
to a strange error message of O3, something like not being able to find the ID
of the key. By analysing we found out that G uses AES as cipher
and O3 does not offer this options in its menu.
G -> O7 works, and O7 has AES in the option menu.
Thus our thesis is that O3 cannot do AES.

If you change the cipher to "3DES" in the gpgme backend configuration
for S/MIME, G -> O3 encrypted works.

Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)