[Gpg4win-devel] Claws Mail spell checking support and dictionaries

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Wed Dec 15 17:32:09 CET 2010

Hi,

I've added spell checking support to Claws Mail, using libenchant. That
uses dictionaries from OpenOffice (or Firefox), installing them can be
a pain for the user: it must be fetched from the web, unzipped
(sometimes renaming the downloaded file). For example, see

    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

Then the .aff and .dic files must be put somewhere where Enchant will
find them, like
Program Files/.../share/myspell/dicts
Program Files/.../share/enchant/myspell

Or in user's %APPDATA%:
Documents and Settings/Username/enchant/myspell

Or in global %APPDATA%:
Documents and Settings/All Users/myspell/dicts

Dictionaries are rather big, so I've not added them to the main
distribution: right now, en_US, en_GB, de and fr (the same languages as
thoses shipped for Claws Mail) take 4.6MB, and add 1.2MB to
GPG4Win's installer.

Instead, I've created another tree to build a specific installer. It's
win32 specific, as Linux distros can ship dictionaries quite fine, so
there's the question: do you prefer I put these in gpg4win's SVN
repository, or should I rather put it in Claws Mail's own repository?
(The rationale being that GPG4Win is our official Win32 port...)

The tree looks like this:
dictionaries/
|-- claws-dictionaries-setup.nsi
|-- Makefile