[Gpg4win-devel] [gpg4win-Bugs][2088] No Right-Click options appear to encrypt/decrypt

gpg4win-bugs@wald.intevation.org gpg4win-bugs at wald.intevation.org
Tue Apr 19 07:14:16 CEST 2011

Bugs item #2088, was opened at 2011-04-18 22:14

Initial Comment:
Hardware:
Acer Aspire 7736 Notebook
64-bit Pentium T4400 Processor
Windows 7, Updates: current
3 GB RAM

Kleopatra Version:
I have Klepoatra 2.1.0. The "About" screen did not specify which release version I have, so I selected "RC1" as the version for this post, but that may be wrong.

Background:
I have 3 other team members for a Networking Security class project in which we test several encryption programs and write a report about our findings. Our professor suggested Gpg4Win to test first. One team member installed Gpg4Win and created a user guide for the 3 other team members to use during installation and exchanging messages afterwards. He is using the Windows "Non-Classic" windows view in his Windows Explorer program. I am using the "Classic view of Explorer for my Windows 7 64-bit machine.

We have already exchanged public keys with each other and I imported them into the Kleopatra program and made them trusted certificates.

Problem:
On page 49 of his instructions (which I have attached to this post in Word format), he showed how to open an encrypted file which has a "gpg" extension by right-clicking on the encrypted file. When I downloaded his encrypted file and right-clicked on his file name with the "gpg" extension, the pop-up menu did not have the options that his instruction s showed.

Attempted Work-Arounds:
I even tried opening it by using the "File" option from the Kleopatra toolbar menu in the top left corner. It never asked me for my passphrase, but it still tried to open his file after I selected the "Encrypt/Decrypt" option.

I uninstalled the program a couple of times, but the right-click menu still does not appear. Is it the fact that I am using the Classic version of Exploere, or is there something that went wrong during the installation? I am aware that I can go into the Windows registry to modify the right-click menu, but I am hesitant to do that so that I don't mess-up the registry...

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Mack