[Gpg4win-devel] Key Length of 4096 Bit Support in GNUPG and GPG4Win

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 30 10:28:40 CEST 2011

Dear Frank,

Am Donnerstag, 17. Februar 2011 10:32:55 schrieb Frank Schuhmann:
> I want to help growing up this Projects and I´ ve no money to spend for
these projects.

welcome Frank! Any contribution to our gpg4win initiative is appreciated,
there are many tasks where you could help out, even if you are not a
programmer. Rudimentary English is enough and you are already and advanced
English writer. See http://gpg4win.de/contribute.html for general ideas how
help.

> For storing my Keys safety, i´ve bought a USB Stick version 1 from
> http://www.privacyfoundation.de/ for 49,00 € this USB stick supports Key
> length from 4096Bit and its working fine with your Software, but only with
> 3072Bit length of Keys, and  now my suggestion would it perhaps going on
> that your Software is supporting also Key Length of 4096Bit?

I guess the limitation is coming from the hardware and software
which is on the stick itself, so it is not a limitation of GnuPG coming with
Gpg4win or your GNU distribution. It needs a changed card, see
http://www.privacyfoundation.de/crypto_stick/crypto_stick_english/
http://www.g10code.com/p-card.html

Best is to ask this on the GnuPG user or development lists I'd say
for the next step as the question is independent from Gpg4win.

> I really don’t know if it is so hard for making it happens for you, but
> with this stick you´ll have a secure and fast reachable store for your keys
> and you´re also able to take your keys all the time with you.

3072 Bit RSA signing keys are very strong,
I am not sure that using more here will be useful for you.

Best,

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.