[Gpg4win-devel] Claws Mail's installer, moving away from GPG4Win

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Sat Nov 17 20:04:47 CET 2012

Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> writes:

>> Well, you've probalbly followed my attempts to build Gpg4win. They are
>> still without success while I'm waiting for some help from the
>> list. My latest configure error by the way is GLib related as well :-)
>
> If that's pthread stuff in glib, then that's the same issue :)

No, it's the missing glib-compile-resources. Details can be found in
my latest posting. Moreover, a build attempt fails with
"make[4]: i586-mingw32msvc-gcc: Command not found" (details posted as
well). Unfortunately, I've not yet received any answer.

> True... Although with the Windows model of shipping every related dll
> etc., my installer still installs its own version of gnupg.

I've not been aware that Claws ships its own DLLs for gpg2, pinentry
etc.. I thought Claws would rely on an installed version of gpg2 like
e.g Emacs/Gnus and Thunderbird.

> No, I didn't. That's libetpan which needs building with CRAM-MD5
> support, the difficulty is that it's required to port sasl. It may be
> simple, or not :)

OK, I will not try to deal with it as I've not enough project and
programing knowlegde. Instead I am looking forward to some expert
porting CRAM-MD5 support and maybe other SASL mechanisms to Windows.

>> And a final wish: Could you please provide a very brief build
>> instruction of the Claws SVN source. May be I will be more successful
>> with it than with Gpg4win :-).
>
> It's rather straightforward on a Debian, see the README file.

I've today given it a try. I've downloaded Claws from SVN:
svn checkout http://svn.claws-mail.org/svn/claws/
and configured via:
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --host=i586-mingw32msvc --includedir=/opt/cross/i386-mingw32msvc/include
so far without problems.

Make, howver, stops with following error:

touch stamps/stamp-directories
touch stamps/stamp-final
gcc -I. -shared -O2 -o g4wihelp.dll ./g4wihelp.c \
   -lwinmm -lgdi32
./g4wihelp.c:31:21: fatal error: windows.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [g4wihelp.dll] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/admin/software/claws-mail/claws/w32/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/admin/software/claws-mail/claws/w32/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/admin/software/claws-mail/claws/w32'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Missing windows.h is located under /opt/cross/i386-mingw32msvc/include.
Do you have any ideas

Well, today I've installed
http://www.claws-mail.org/win32/claws-mail-3.9.0cvs12-pkg23.exe
on my Windows machine and compared it to version 3.9.0 built from
source under Linux.

I've started to like Claws Mail more and more. Currently it seems to
be the perfect composition of my old roughly operated Gnus and
elegantly looking Thunderbird.

The Linux version of Claws makes me almost perfectly happy. The only
very small feature I would like to see is the possibiliy to add a
certificate exception for SSL LDAP connections as for IMAP, POP3 and
SMTP.

In order to test the Windows version of Claws I've decided to
re-enable PLAIN and LOGIN authentication for Dovecot and Postfix. SSL
and GPG support work perfectly. However, I noticed that there is no
SSL support for LDAP connections - as can be found for Linux versions
of Claws. Nevertheless, Claws appears to be very stable even under
Windows.

There's one slightly annoying circumstance with the Windows version of
Claws. I would like to install Claws configuration files to a location
other than the default
C:\Users\<logname>\AppData\Roaming\Claws-mail. In particular I would
like it to reside under D:\home\<logname>. The main reason is that
this directory resides on a tuecrypt encrypted partition. I've tried
to start Claws with the --alternate-config-dir switch to find out that
the Windows version obviously ignores any command line parameter. Do
you have any advice?

Last but not least I'd like to thank you very much for this up to date
version of Claws - independently of an update of Gpg4win.

Peter