[Gpg4win-devel] Syntax error when linking with some .def files

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Apr 19 16:04:04 CEST 2013

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:50, aheinecke at intevation.de said:

> On debian this was not a problem as the old deffile parser from ld (binutils
> 2.22) apparently accepted that double EXPORTS line. But the ld in ubuntu 13.4
> (binutils 2.23.2) rejects it as a syntax error.

Thanks for this comparison.

> I'm not sure what the best fix for this is, should all .def files be changed so
> that their first line reads EXPORTS or should we try to fix libtool so that it
> not only parses the first line? (Which seems wrong to me)

Actually we don't update the libtool copy without a reasons.  Thus I
assumed we are safe.  Don't we have a libtools in w32pth and adns?

During our WindowsCE port we had to use our patched version of libtool
and, irrc, I kept that version pretty long before I updated it.  Looking
at libadns.def, the EXPORT line is indeed the very first line.  Empty
and comment lines should be skipped by any parser.  Thus we need to wait
for a libtool fix or revert to an old version.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner