[Gpg4win-devel] PGP/MIME and future (Re: signature in body: no-mime and new "double no-mime")

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Aug 26 16:28:02 CEST 2013

On Monday 26 August 2013 at 14:58:13, Dr. Peter Voigt wrote:
> > > Best would be, of course, if Outlook will support PGP/MIME in the
> > > nearest future :-).
> >
> > Yes, this would be the best solution. However it is a lot of work
> > (which we've reported on this list over the last years) and we do not
> > even know for sure that it can be implemented given Outlook's current
> > interface. So we would need enough funding to start this work.
> > (The Informsec2013 funding now comes to an end as you can see from
> > the planning at http://wiki.gnupg.org/Informsec2013 and it was not
> > not enough to try the PGP/MIME block.)
>
> Well, it is not clear to me which part of non-standard conformity is
> related to the mail client itself and which part has to do with the way
> of gpg plugin implementation.

To be able to fully support crypto email messages with MIME
the "extension" code must have enough access to the MIME handling of
the email client it wants to work for.

For Outlook 2003 and 2007, GPGOl pulls quite some tricks here to enable
PGP/MIME and S/MIME, but still does not fully succeed. It cannot use Exchange
as an email transport for instance. However with Outlook 2010 the interface
between "plugins" and Outlook changed a lot.

> Now I conclude, you could provide an Outlook plugin fully
> supporting PGP/MIME if only you have time and financial support.

There is a technical approach that is promissed to work with Outlook v>=2010.
To prove that it works mean to create a working prototype. Given Outlooks
track record we are careful to promiss anything.

> And I know now that you are still planing to go
> further into that direction.

Yes, if we can secure funding (or enough highly qualified help).
Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner