[Gpg4win-devel] Language selection?

Fòram na Gàidhlig fios at foramnagaidhlig.net
Mon Apr 20 14:06:54 CEST 2015

Thank you very much for getting back to me :)

>> If so, I won't be translating, because most users won't be able
>> to select the language - computers come with en-GB pre-installed
>> and the average user won't know how to change this :'(
>
> I can see that this is a problem for you and a language that is
> less spread. The problem probably goes beyond kleopatra then,
> you'll have it for all applications that you would want to
> translate. So it calls for a general solution. A world in which a
> Gaelic speaker has to check the language settings on each of her
> applications does provide a bad user experience as well. So what
> could you do?

Actually, this user experience isn't bad at all - having a selection
in the application's GUI is the perfect solution. Adding language
selection to the installer as well is the icing on the cake.

Computers can be shared be people not all speaking the same
language(s), so being able to pick the language for each application
on the fly is actually a good thing. I have 3 languages installed on
my Firefox ;)

> Maybe come up with a general gui application that changes the
> locale?

Operating systems already allow you to change the locale and have a
GUI for it. The problem is that most users don't even know what a
locale is. As developers, we often underestimate how difficult things
can be for users. Most of my friends find PGP scary in spite of the
great GUI support available nowadays.

> If you are working on a translation for an application, you could
> also suggest a patch to the documentation. Or instructions to a
> general page for Gaelic users.

We already have a documentation page for general software issues.

http://www.igaidhlig.net/

The user needs to know that it's there though, find the piece of
sotfware and start reading and do complicated stuff... much easier to
just pick you language from a GUI.

Usually, we ask the developers nicely if they could add language
selection to the GUI. Many applications do this, e.g. LibeOffice, the
Gimp or VLC.

In case yo wish to read more, a friend of mine has written a blog
about the issue:

https://akerbeltzalba.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/detect-locale-manna-from-
heaven-or-hellspawn/