[Gpg4win-devel] GPA history (Re: Kleopatra creates keys without separate subkey)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Apr 24 16:47:47 CEST 2015

On Friday 24 April 2015 at 12:02:05, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> I suspect that gpg4win predates GPA and so that was why
> it was never the default and why Kleopatra may have been the only
> option for a GUI when the project launched.

GPA's history is longer than Kleo's
(see ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/fruis/gpa gpa-0.4.0 from 2001).
but Kleo was x509 only if I remember the beginnings correctly.
A lof of the crypto work was happening together with Kontact Mail
on KDE Platform 3, so Kleo got pushed farther at this time.
Later GPA caught up or overtook Kleo on some aspects again,
now we should be glad to have two UIservers. :)

Anyway, I agree the key generation should be fixed soon.

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner