[Gpg4win-devel] Version 2.2.2 doesn't allow 8192 rsa generation

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 11 09:14:12 CET 2015

On Tuesday 10 March 2015 at 18:16:21, iratemonkey wrote:
> I was able to use version 2.2.1 to generate 8192 bit rsa for pgp from the
> command line batch gen command without having to make any modifications.
>
> Since, version 2.2.2 and onwards, why was this disabled?

This is probably a limit coming from GnuPG.

http://wiki.gnupg.org/LargeKeys and the links there
e.g. the FAQ that states:
"GnuPG supports up to 4096-bit keys."

There is a new compile option in some versions that enables larger keys.

> Can this be brought back in future versions? Why the hard limit to 4096?

It could be brought back by enabling the compile option,
but it probably will not as long as the leading opinion
in the GnuPG Initiative is that it is not helpful.
See the wiki links for the reasons, especially the FAQ.
Short version: the drawbacks outweight the benefits.

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner