[Gpg4win-devel] Kleopatra update to KDE Frameworks 5 and now built from Source

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Wed Feb 24 16:59:38 CET 2016

Hi,

I've just merged the kleo-kf5 development branch of Gpg4win into master and
want to give you a heads up about what we've done there.

Until now Kleopatra was included in Gpg4win as a binary Package that was
compiled on another system. Since 2.2.0 this binary even had to be compiled on
Windows using the KDE-Windows buildsystem emerge (yuk).

Now, thanks to the KDE Initiative's Framework modularization effort with KDE
Frameworks 5, we were now able to clean up and reduce Kleopatra's build and
runtime dependencies [1] so that we can maintain / compile them as part of
Gpg4win.

So if you now build gpg4win master it will compile Kleopatra and her
dependencies from source. This makes it much easier in the future to make
changes to Kleopatra. It still takes a while to compile all that additional
C++ code but with a fairly modern multicore processor it should still be less
then 30 minutes.

While doing this we also got rid of the dependency to DBus and KDE's System
configuration database (Kbuildsycoca). There were some additional patches
necessary for this. You can find them in the patches subdir.

Additionally we are now including all available translations for Kleopatra and
are using the Breeze Icon theme, which I think looks better on modern Windows
systems.

The Install layout was slightly changed, too. All binaries are now in the bin
subfolder. This removes the need for the Kleopatra Wrapper and should solve a
whole class of related "Kleopatra won't start / my shortcuts to Kleopatra
don't work" Issues.

We have some obvious (but fairly minor) regressions that we'll fix in the next
days, afterwards we'll publish a new Testversion including this.

Regards,
Andre

1: https://wiki.gnupg.org/Gpg4win/KleopatraDependencies

--