[Gpg4win-devel] New icon for Kleopatra?

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Sep 12 17:02:35 CEST 2016

Hi,

Alessandro Longo recently added a new Icon for Kleopatra to KDE's breeze Icon
style. (Thanks!!)

I generally like the Icon, but I'm a bit unsure if we should use it in Gpg4win
as the Icon for Kleopatra in Gpg4win-3.

Here is a screenshot of Kleopatra on Windows 10 with various Icon sizes. The
small icon in the topleft corner of the Kleopatra window is also used as the
tray icon.

New: https://files.intevation.de/users/aheinecke/kleo_icon_new.png
Old: https://files.intevation.de/users/aheinecke/kleo_icon_old.png

I like about the new Icon that it has some crypto relation (with the text and
the numbers) and that is less "brightly colored" generally I find it an
improvement as I always wondered what this "Humanisation" of the software
tries to communicate (maybe that it is about people).

I think it could be improved in the small size by removing the Text and
Numbers in the background background and just use the eye on the colored
background.

A problem with the new Icon could be that the eye is a religous symbol (as is
the eye of horus which is used in this image) and a use of this could be
offensive for some.
Also the old Icon has been there for some years now and users are used to it.
(Although it might be nice with Gpg4win-3 to have a prominent visual update,
too)

Opinions? :-)

Andre

--