[Gpg4win-devel] New icon for Kleopatra?

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Tue Sep 13 11:00:25 CEST 2016

Hi,

Alessandro replied to the mail but it did not get through to gpg4win-devel as
he is not subscribed. I'm quoting the mail below.

On Monday 12 September 2016 19:05:38 Alessandro Longo wrote:
> Il 12-09-2016 17:02 Andre Heinecke ha scritto:
> Can you please explain me the relation between Kleaopatra and Gpg4win?

Kleopatra is the main "GUI" component of Gpg4win (a collection of GnuPG and
some additional software distributed for Windows) so Kleopatra is one of the
KDE Software components that has more users on Windows then on GNU/Linux
systems. (at least the bugtracker is ~80% bugs reported by Windows users ;-) )

Kleopatra also provides the GUI for our Outlook crypto plugin for e-mail
operations and for our Windows Explorer plugin for file operations.

> Optimizing app icons for different sizes is already planned (just today
> I pushed Kate and Kwrite at 16,22,32,48 and 64 pixels) but it's a lot of
> work and I tend to prioritize GNU/Linux/KDE ecosystems and their main
> apps. Don't expect much improvement in 16 and 22 px icons, are very
> little sizes.

Nice, the small icons are important as Kleopatra has a Systemtray Icon (which
is small) and the Window decoration icon.

> Also, I don't know if Windows support a mechanism for
> by-size optimized icons.

Yes Windows has such a Mechanism. You create a .ico file that contains bitmaps
for various sizes and embedd this in your application (similar for MacOS). The
icons used are in:

https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kleopatra.git&a=tree&f=src%2Ficons

I manually convert an SVG to these sizes using inkscape.

> > A problem with the new Icon could be that the eye is a religous symbol
> > (as is
> > the eye of horus which is used in this image) and a use of this could
> > be
> > offensive for some.
>
> I thought it was an ancient symbol, not a current religion's one. What
> religion use it?

I don't know either. That is a bit why I asked for opinions. Maybe the Eyes of
Buddah in Buddishm? I recently added an "Eye" icon to our passprhase entry
program for a "reveal password" action and there was the opinion by some
people that an eye Icon should not be used for that, partly also because of
religous reasons. I disagreed there, because Windows itself already uses a
stylized Eye for "reveal password".

In my personal Opinion the Eye of Horus is a good match for Kleopatra as it
matches Kleopatras "Egyptian" name and according to wikipedia:

"The Eye of Horus is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection, royal power and
good health."

Especially the "protection" part makes it a nice match for a Crypto software
:-)

Regards,
Andre

--