[Gpg4win-users-en] gpa.exe has encountered an error...

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jul 9 22:46:24 CEST 2009

Dear Seldom,

On Thursday 09 July 2009, seldom at hushmail.com wrote:
> This is my first time to post to a mailing list so I apologize if I
> screwed it up somehow or posted to the wrong list.
>
> I'm using Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 and Gpg4win 2.0.0 RC1.

thanks for trying Gpg4win and sending feedback, this is much appreciated!
You have posted to the right list - well done. ;)

> Whenever I generate a key with GPA I get an error saying "gpa.exe
> has encountered an error and needs to close..." When I restart GPA
> the key I was in the middle of creating is there and seems to be ok.

This sounds like a crash in gpa.
If you would want to help the developers you could try to get a
stack backtrace. There are some general hints for other applictions here:
https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Debugging_on_MS_Windows#MinGW_debugging_hints

I suggest you open gpa, start gdb with the path to gpa.exe and "attach
PROCESSNUMER" to it. Then say "continue" to make gpa run further and try to
create the crash.

Another possiblity is to use Kleopatra for key creation and as uiserver
instead of GPA.

> I was trying to work through the GPG for Novices manual but Adele's
> replies are all in German which I don't understand. So for practice
> I logged into my Windows XP admin account and created a GPG key &
> email account for it. I then logged into the limited user account I
> normally use and created another key and email account for it (I
> got the gpa.exe error message during the creation of both keys). I
> exchanged public keys between the two accounts & then tried
> exchanging messages between them.

How did you send the messages? Via Outlook with the GPGOL plugin?
OpenPGP keys I guess?

> When I sent a meessage from the admin to the user account
> everything worked fine, decryption went of without a hitch but
> whenever I send a message from the limited user account to the
> admin account I again get the "gpa.exe has encountered a problem
> and needs to close..." error when the admin account tries to
> decrypt the message.
>
> When this error occurs I also get a pop-up about sending an error
> report to Microsoft. When it sends this report there's also a txt
> file that that is created in a Windows temp folder. I copied &
> saved that file before I let Windows send the error report to
> Microsoft, it's quite a big file but I'll be glad to post it if
> it'll help.

A backtrace is much better than the windows .txt file.

Best,
Deputy Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998