[Gpg4win-users-en] changing encryption method

Emanuel Schütze emanuel at intevation.de
Fri Mar 11 08:56:35 CET 2011

Hi Sudhir,

On 2011-03-10 20:09, Sudhir Vinjam wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me how I can change encryption method when
> encrypting a file (using GPA or Cleopatra) ? How do I use 3DES instead of
> AES256

OpenPGP or S/MIME?

For S/MIME:
3DES is the default cipher (encryption method).
You can check it here:
Kleopatra settings -> GnuPG Systems -> GPG for S/MIME -> last input field
or
$ gpgconf --list-options gpgsm

For OpenPGP there is no default cipher; it would be set by the preferences of
each OpenPGP key. 3DES is a fallback which every OpenPGP implementation has
to support. "gpg2 --version" shows which ciphers OpenPGP supports.
To show the preferences of a special key:
$ gpg2 --edit <keyID>
> showpref
AES256 should be default if key is created with current GnuPG.
I'm currently not sure if and how can you change this. Maybe some GnuPG
experts can help you.

Regards
Emanuel

--