[Gpg4win-users-en] question on Kleopatra

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 10 09:03:56 CEST 2012

Randall,

Am Freitag, 5. Oktober 2012 19:03:37 schrieb Randall:
> why does Kleopatra
> have to run when I am simply trying to run simple gpg on just a file?

Kleopatra is a Gnupg user interface service (as is GPA for instance)
and a graphical user interface to a number of Gnupg backend functions.

You can use the crypto backend on the command line itself,
like calling gpg2.exe directly. Then you don't need Kleopatra or any other
gnupg user interface server. So they do not need to run.
If I remember correctly, the default installation may start this service
once you've installed Gpg4win, because most users will benefit from Kleopatra.

Note that even if you run gpg2.exe or gpgsm.exe on the command line,
you still would need to have a way to enter or possibly remember your
passphrases. The default and standard service for this is an agent service
and the running service is the gpg-agent. This agent can open a graphical
passphrase entry dialog on screen, but you can also configure it to
use a terminal character only passphrase entry dialog.
You could let gpg2.exe or gpgsm.exe start a gpg-agent on the fly
for just one operation. Usually is it useful to have one running per user,
though.

> I am concerned about security risks, so I am assuming that Kleopatra is
> fully trusted?

The short answer: Yes.

The slightly longer answer:
Any software has defects - so does Kleopatra and GnuPG. The components of the
Gnupg package are designed to be smaller and can allow themselfs to not deal
with complex graphical user interfaces. Because of this, the chance they have
security problems is significantly lower than for Kleopatra (or GPA).
Kleopatra draws in a lot of dependencies, because it deals with graphical user
interfaces and utilised libraries like the KDE Plattform 4 and Qt. So it is
bigger and has a higher chance of defects. The situation with GPA is
similiar. On the other hand, if you make mistakes as a user when handling the
certificates and their trust level, this will also lower your level of
safety. A good interface can help avoiding these mistakes. Kleopatra and GPA
are attempts to build good graphical interfaces. If done well the increase of
usability outweight the drawbacks of the size.

The long answer:
Trust is a complex topic in terms of security. You would need to secure the
weakest link first. If you think about what else you are running with the
same level of proviledges on your operating system and the operating system
itself, you'll have a lot to discuss. Of course all components of the stack,
including Kleopatra and Gnupg need regular maintenance. Okay, I cannot manage
to really answer this here. Probably a more general security or crypto
mailinglist would be a better place. There are also a larger number of books
on the topic. First define your security goals, then analyse your threads and
how they are migitated. Then think about the full stack, including the
hardware and procedures. In the end you know if you can fully trust one of
the components like Kleopatra to fully meet your security needs. If differs
from setting to setting of course.

> Please let me know, since I and one other party are probably going to
> work with Gpg4win.

I've attempted three answers above, hope it was helpful. :)

Best Regards,