[Gpg4win-users-en] Gpg4win 2.1.1. beta 197

Bob Henson oldbob at oldbob.co.uk
Thu May 23 11:52:08 CEST 2013

On 21/05/2013 6:15 PM, Andre Heinecke wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> On Tuesday 21 May 2013 16:13:31 Bob Henson wrote:
>> I have tried many versions of gpg4win on my system, and finally I have
>> one that works - 2.1.1 beta197 - thank you for that. I use Outlook 2007
>> running under Windows 7 64bit. The problem has always been that Outlook
>> locked up solid at any attempt to use encryption, and Kleopatra was
>> always flaky used alone - however all is now almost well. Amongst other
>> reasons, these problems persuaded me to ditch Outlook and use
>> Thunderbird/Enigmail and GnupG 1.4 - which has always worked perfectly.
>> I have both systems up and running on the same machine now, and have
>> been sending test messages from Outlook 2007 to Thunderbird and vice
>> versa - using different e-mail addresses that I have, but the same keys.
> Thanks for your feedback, those freezes were particularly nasty to and it is
> always great to hear of successes with a new version and not only of
> problems ;)
>>
>> The only remaining problem is this - when I sign messages from
>> Thunderbird/Enigmail to Outlook/Gpg4win decryption works fine and the
>> signatures verify correctly and are shown as valid. When I send them
>> from Outlook to Thunderbird the signatures do not verify albeit
>> decryption works fine. Thunderbird to Thunderbird is fine - all
>> signatures verify. Outlook to Outlook also works OK. Naturally my keys
>> are ultimately trusted so the is no logical reason why this should be.
>> Both system are using the same keyring.
>>
>> Am I missing something obvious, or is there any reason why verification
>> should fail only in the one direction? Any ideas where I should look first?
> I remember a similar problem that signed mails from KMail were not validated
> by enigmail because of a bug in the whitespace handling in one client. I do
> not remember which one did it correctly (RFC compliant) and can't find the
> bug report anymore, but yes there are some issues with different e-mail
> clients handling signatures differently.
>
> Can you send a mail to this list you've signed in outlook but which does not
> validate in enigmail? This would allow us to take a look at it and see if
> gpgOl does everything correctly and if there should be a bug reported to
> enigmail or if we have a problem with gpgOl.

Out of interest, and relating to this same problem, your message to
which I am replying here works fine with Thunderbird/Enigmail - it shows
the usual turquoise bar at the top of the screen and the "Good
Signature" message. The message that you posted this morning about
"Gpg4win on Windows 8" did not - the signature shows up at the bottom of
the screen as an attachment, and if I try to open it is give me a "bad
Signature" message. I see they were both written with Kmail, so they
should not be any different, so perhaps it is Thunderbird/Enigmail that
is at fault. As Enigmail intercepts the messages before Thunderbird gets
hold of them, I can't see why that should be though - perhaps this one
is just a fluke.

Anyway, I hope the information is useful. This is signed with
Thunderbird/Enigmail this time.

Regards,

Bob