[Gpg4win-users-en] pinentry.exe crashes in GPG4Win-Light on Windows 7 Prof. with Russian locale

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 31 15:52:51 CET 2013

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:35, bernhard at intevation.de said:

> Some developers pounder to remove the light variant because the necessary
> efforts to maintain it.

Huh?  We talked about removing Kleopatra and not about GTK+ stuff.
Maintaining the GTK+ libraries is way easier than doing anything with
the KDE/Qt stuff.  We are not even able to cross-build the latter.

Regarding the crash, it seems that the Qt pinentry is installed as the
GTK pinentry seems to work.  Please do this:

Swicth to the GnuPG directory: In the shell something like

  c:
  cd \progr....\GNU\GnuPG

or use the explorer.  Then open a shell (cmd.exe) and run

  pinentry --version

What is the reported version?

ou may then also try to reproduce the crash by running

  pinentry

and then enter "getpin" to popup the window.  Finish the whole thing
with F6 or "bye".

As a quick fix you may also

  copy pinentry-gtk-2.exe pinentry.exe

so that the GTK pinentry will be used from the on.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner