[Gpg4win-users-en] Can't start Kleopatra: libkleo.dll is missing from your computer

Daniel F buildtherobots at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 13:33:49 CEST 2014

Windows 7 Professional x86_64, SP1.

Tried to fire up kleopatra this morning only to be greeted by an error
stating:

"kleopatra.exe - System Error
The program can't start because libkleo.dll is missing from your computer.
Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I was somewhat surprised as I'm relatively sure I've not changed anything
since I used it last week. Re-installing did not help matters.

After much messing around, I finally realized what's causing it:

My kleopatra shortcut points to C:\Program Files
(x86)\GNU\GnuPG\bin\kleopatra.exe which consistantly refuses to start with
the above error, however if I launch C:\Program Files
(x86)\GNU\GnuPG\kleopatra.exe (not inside the bin folder) then it seems to
start and work as expected.

Hopefully this helps someone else as current google results were not
helpful.