[Gpg4win-users-en] Plea for GPG4Win vanilla installation step reduction

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jul 15 09:40:11 CEST 2014

On Monday 14 July 2014 at 17:30:01, Samir Nassar wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2014-07-15 00:22:04 Kosuke Kaizuka <cai.0407 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > License information MUST be read and users MUST agree the license before
> > actual installation starts.
>
> If you're going to make statements like that, why "MUST" and who says?

Some lawyers claim that you have to be fully aware about a contract,
before agreeing to it. There is some logic in this of course.
We may have just followed the standard example flow here,
there is certainly a possibility to improve it.

> > > Components screen:
> > >
> > > There are no components that can be configured, screen can be dropped.
> >
> > Installer is common between vanilla, light and full.
> > I don't think it is good choice to use different scheme only for vanilla.
>
> Why? Some explanation is helpful.

Some users demand several installer variants, of course this causes software
creation/testing costs because of the variants in the interaction workflow.

> > Is is standard behavior of Windows Installer to put "show details"
> > button on progress windows.
>
> I understand that many installers do this. "standard behavior" is a strong
> argument for keeping it this way because of user expectations. Note that I
> am not asking for the functionality to be removed, just consolidated.

Installation for most users is a process that is rarely done. However it
creates the first impression. Form the development side we right now try to
focus more on the maintenance and next would be to improve the operations
that are done most often.

We still appreciate all feedback and try to collect requirements
and possible improvements! If you want to discuss this in more details,
we coordinate on the -devel list.

Best Regards,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner