[Gpg4win-users-en] How do I exit the text editor in gpg?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 17 17:25:37 CET 2014

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:33, david at kronlid.net said:

> Instead "dumb" programmers try to make their programs harder to use by
> creating a number of different ways of exiting, like Ctrl+C, Q, Ctrl+Q,
> Ctrl+D, Ctrl+Z, F10, F12, ~qy, etc. It's obviously easier for mankind to

FWIW: You are talking about the computer you are sitting in front of.
However, there are many more computers around the world and huge number
of them do not even have a keyboard (we usually call them servers).
These are all of different types, run different operating systems, and
so on.  Thus the special keys on a PC keyboard do not make sense for
them and portable programs use a well defined subset of keys to achieve
portability.

Ctrl-Z instead Ctrl-D is one of the peculiarities of the PC-DOS and
Windows operating systems.  Ctrl-S and Ctrl-Q resemble the flow control
on serial lines and are thus easy to remember.  F10 etc is not used by
any portable software because there is no common code for them (okay,
some software negotiates with the server how to use function keys).

The real problem on non-PCs has always been the use of the delete key
and the backspace key.  Fortunately Debian solved this one and for all
more than 15 years ago and most people do not remember the problems
anymore.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner