[Gpg4win-users-en] suggestion: add modify to add/remove program options

Stefan luke1410 at gmx.de
Tue May 3 00:43:16 CEST 2016

Hi Bernhard,
On 5/2/2016 09:52, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Hi Stefan, hi Sijie,
>
> Am Montag, 2. Mai 2016 07:24:04 schrieb Sijie Bu:
>> Stefan Hett wrote:
>>> just a quick/minor suggestion I'd like to raise:
>>> Could the installer be improved so that it allows to change the
>>> installed components directly from the Add/Remove Programs list in
>>> Windows?
> thanks for the suggestion.  Can you give us more motivation
> why you would want to change the installed components?
> In our usage ideas this is a rare situation, so have not put much thought
> into supporting it.
Tbh I have to admit that my situation was also some edge case.
Originally when installing Gpg4Win the first time I checked the GPA
component, to try it out directly and learn what exactly that component
is. When I realized I don't need it, I wanted to remove it (which, as
stated above, was not possible without downloading the installer again).
While for usual applications downloading the installer is usually a
matter of a few additional clicks, for Gpg4Win given its purpose, one
wants to make double sure it's a safe/secure download one got.
Hence one goes through the additional step of verifying the SHA-code again.

Granted, this is just a small additional inconvenience, but still it's
one a first time user might be concerned with when trying out the product.
You might wanna take into consideration that especially to new users who
try out your product the first time, you are increasing the chances for
them to stick with your product if the first start is as convenient for
them as possible. That said, that even though my depicted use-case is
quite limited and certainly mostly applies to first time users, it's
especially there where these small bits might count a lot.

Regards,
Stefan