[Openvas-announce] Reminder: Support for module openvas-plugins version <= 1.0.3 to be discontinued

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Thu Oct 1 09:37:07 CEST 2009

Dear OpenVAS users,

the OpenVAS module openvas-plugins version up to and including 1.0.3
has reached its end-of-life and the OpenVAS team plans to discontinue
support for this release in 6 weeks from now at November, 17th, 2009.

If you still use release openvas-plugins 1.0.3 or earlier, please drop a
message via any of our support channels. If you can handle it yourself,
you should soon upgrade to a newer version. Else, please ask for assistance
for upgrading your OpenVAS installation.

In case we receive feedback saying that upgrading the OpenVAS
environment is not doable within 6 weeks, we are open
to delay the retirement.

Note for subscribers to Greenbone Security Feed (GSF):
This discontinuation has no effect for GSF users. They don't
need to react upon this announcement.

Important:
After retirement of the releases of openvas-plugins <= 1.0.3,
the OpenVAS NVT Feed will be changed in terms of access rights.
Any new release of openvas-plugins will handle this correctly and
you will not notice any change.

How to verify which version you are using:

* If your OpenVAS installation is via
  Packages, check with your package managment
  system.
* If you installed OpenVAS via source code packages:
   For the module openvas-plugins it is unfortunately not
   easy to identify the version that is installed.
   You should look into the plugins directory
   (defined in "/etc/openvas/openvasd.conf" as
   "plugins_folder") and check whether file
   "nmap_tcp_connect" is present.
   If yes, this means you at least once installed
   an old openvas-plugins release. In this
   case, even if you updated meanwhile, you
   should entirely clean the openvas-plugins
   directory and reinstall the newest openvas-plugins
   release and then run the sync routine
   for the NVT Feed.

Best regards

Your OpenVAS Development Team