[Openvas-announce] Virtual Appliance: OpenVAS-7 DEMO 2.2

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Mon Oct 6 10:31:03 CEST 2014

Hello OpenVAS Community,

we are happy to announce that Version 2.2 of the OpenVAS-7 DEMO VM
is available for download:

  http://www.openvas.org/vm.html

The intention of this virtual appliance is to allow a quick try-out
of the OpenVAS-7 framework (no need of source code builds or package
installation). Essentially this allows even Windows users to try out.
It is compatible at least with VirtualBox and ESXi.

We recommend strongly to consider the security notes provided on the
download page. We call it a DEMO because we do not recommend production
use of this virtual appliance. It is just a plain OpenVAS installation
on a standard Debian GNU/Linux, nothing more and nothing less.

Changes of Version 2.2 compared to Version 1.0:

* Updated base system (including all Debian security fixes, shellshock fixes covered)
* Updated NVT/SCAP/CERT Feeds (covering recent comprehensive updates)
* Updated to newest OpenVAS-7 maintenance releases (including recent security fixes)
* Fixed the keyboard layout switch, by default US keyboard
* Added Switch for an alternative face (German, IT-Schwachstellenampel)
* Added haveged to better handle lack of entropy
* Better support for ESXi import
* Forced NVT cache to rebuild from scratch
* Added examples on TLS cipher configuration
* Removed remains of deprecated OpenVAS Administrator

So, if you are running Version 1.0 and took care of all these updates
yourself, you do not need to switch to Version 2.2.

Best regards

  Jan-Oliver Wagner

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner |  +49-541-335084-0  |  http://www.greenbone.net/