[Openvas-devel] Start: replacing OpenSSL by GNU/TLS

Randal T. Rioux randy at procyonlabs.com
Fri Mar 16 15:55:24 CET 2007

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> The major and most important task, IMHO, is to replace OpenSSL by
> GNU/TLS. There is no OpenSSL exception for the server
> part. It is therefore illegal to distribute binary packages.

I must have missed something here, but what would prevent the inclusion
of OpenSSL libraries? I'm all for using GNU/TLS, but OpenSSL is FIPS
approved (USA fed standard) and that is a great plus for government
acceptance (my arena).

> Does it make sense at all to allow compilation without SSL?
> IMHO, SSL should be mandatory, but I'd be happy to stand corrected.

No - I don't think so. All that data has some pretty valuable
information in transit. SSL is a must in my opinion.

Randy