[Openvas-devel] Start: replacing OpenSSL by GNU/TLS

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Mon Mar 26 16:45:20 CEST 2007

On Monday 26 March 2007 16:26, Daniel Cabezas wrote:
> Don´t want to talk much about an issue which I don´t know well, but why
> aren´t other alternatives studied? I mean, like matrixssl. That stub of
> wrapper functions could make any underlying ssl engine work, and the binary
> deployment responsible would be able to choose which library to link openvas
> against.

I do not know how MatrixSSL and GNU TLS compare. It just looks
like GNU TLS being more complete and with a larger user/usage base.
I played with it and it appears OK.
Apart from this, GNU TLS is LGPL while MatrixSSL is GPL.

So, no serious study took place to evaluate alternatives except that
it is ensured GNU TLS will at least be able to replace OpenSSL (minus
the broken SSL version which is simply not supported in GNU TLS).

If anyone volunteers to compare SSL libraries or provide
pointers where find such, please let us know.