[Openvas-devel] OpenVAS modules versioning

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Wed Mar 28 21:16:04 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 17:53, Norm Donovan wrote:
> Are you thinking we would do partial releases of just, say libnasl, for
> example?  I would really worry about that - it means proper testing will
> have to consider all kinds of version combinations.  I am running a
> 1.0.7 server with a 1.0.3 libnasl and 1.0.5 libraries.  I think
> releasing all components together even if some of them have not changed
> is more supportable.

well, the policy for versioning should say that API incompatitbilies should
force a major release number increase. The whole GNU/Linux system
is based on this concept. The advantage I see is that a small but important
bug fix in openvas-libraries would not make it mandatory to make new releases
of openvas-libnasl and openvas-server with not changes made.

All the best

Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner                                   Intevation GmbH