[Openvas-devel] Few ideas for development/contest

Vlatko Kosturjak kost at linux.hr
Thu Aug 28 23:58:05 CEST 2008

Hello!

Here's few ideas what we should consider for future development of
OpenVAS or some ideas for someone who wants to participate in contest.

I think we should expand OpenVAS to support two more plugin/scripts
formats:
- OVAL:
	http://oval.mitre.org/repository/download/index.html
- NES scripts
	http://nmap.org/book/nse.html

These we can support as builtin/native or as a script which will convert
from native syntax to NASL (something like oval2nasl or nes2nasl...).
Question of design and advantages/disadvantages of each solution.

Also, what would give openvas a really good jump start is to have some
script(s) to convert some advisories automatically to nasl (like Ubuntu
advisories, Novell, etc...). Just few ideas for contest... feel free to
grab my ideas and take the prize! :)

Kost