[Openvas-devel] Removing getopt Dependency from OpenVAS

Michael Wiegand michael.wiegand at intevation.de
Wed Nov 5 09:40:39 CET 2008

Hello,

as a preparation for OpenVAS 2.0, I have begun to eliminate all traces of
getopt from the OpenVAS source code, starting with the now obsolete local
copies in openvas-libraries.

As a reminder, command line parsing in -server, -client and the openvas-nasl
standalone interpreter has been switched to glib as announced in CR #9 and CR
#11 (see http://www.openvas.org/openvas-cr-9.html and
http://www.openvas.org/openvas-cr-11.html).

However, I have found two small programs which are still using getopt:
openvas-libraries/libopenvas_hg/test.c and
openvas-server/openvasd/openvas-check-signature.c.

test.c in libopenvas_hg uses the getopt from unistd.h, which should remain
available. Since it seems to be an example app, I don't have any issues with
the getopt use there.

openvas-check-signature.c on the other hand uses the getopt_long which used to
be provided by the local getopt copy in openvas-libraries. Since I am about
to remove this copy and don't want to add an dependency on an external
getopt, this would break due to my change.

I don't think openvas-check-signature.c is needed anymore, since signature
verification can be simply done with "gpg --verify". I'd rather remove it
than switch it to glib if this the case, but I don't know if any of you is
still using this file or has plans for it.

So if you want to keep this file around for whatever reason, please let me
know; otherwise I will remove it with my getopt removal commit.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Wiegand |  OpenPGP key: D7D049EC  |  http://www.intevation.de/