[Openvas-devel] The Road to 2.0.0

Michael Wiegand michael.wiegand at intevation.de
Fri Nov 7 15:54:59 CET 2008

Hello,

seeing the progress we have made during the last few weeks, I would like to
get the ball rolling towards a final release for 2.0.0 and propose a -beta2.

The 2.0-beta2 release should include all features intended for 2.0, so I'd
like all of you to think about what remains to be done and post it here.

Things I would like to be in 2.0-beta2 include:
- Ensure 64-bit cleanliness:
The patches from Stepjan should get us a big step in this direction. So far, I
have tested the patch for -client, but have since been busy elsewhere.
Testers for the remaining patches are more than welcome.

- Get rid of getopt:
As I've said in my mail from 20081105, this is almost done and will be
committed on Monday if there are no objections.

- Make the client interface more consistent:
Large parts of the compendium already talk about NVTs, while the client
interface still uses the more generic "plugin" inherited from Nessus. This is
likely to confuse users, it would be nice to have the client interface
use "NVT" consistently.

- Improve OVAL support:
I'm currently working on improving the OVAL support for 2.0, like dropping
privileges when launching ovaldi. This should be done early next week as
well.

These are the four major issues in my mind; I'm sure you can think of more. :)

Thank you and have a nice weekend,

Michael

--
Michael Wiegand |  OpenPGP key: D7D049EC  |  http://www.intevation.de/