[Openvas-devel] Fwd: 64 bit cleanless

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Fri Nov 14 11:26:50 CET 2008

On Freitag, 14. November 2008, Michael Wiegand wrote:
> The reason for this right now is simply that it enables less-experienced
> user to just download one package, compile it and be ready to go without
> worrying about dependencies to other parts of the code -- since client
> and server are not always installed on the same machine.

another reason is that openvas-libraries as it is present has high
demands regarding dependent libraries (various networking stuff,
the openvas-client does not need at all).
So, a first step would be break up openvas-libaries into more libraries
(internally) and have a flexiblöe autoconf that builds only the simple
ones if the network libraries are missing on the build system.

However, it might be a good idea to wait for this until
these strange data structure (arglists, hargslists) are replaced
by standard ones (from glib) which I guess will even provide better
performance.