[Openvas-devel] Solaris Local Security Checks

Michael Wiegand michael.wiegand at intevation.de
Mon Nov 17 15:12:50 CET 2008

* Tim Brown [ 3. Nov 2008]:
> Whilst the plugins themselves (and solaris.inc) are, I believe correct, the
> limited testing I have done this far, indicates a problem with
> gather-package-list.nasl which is used to gather the information and set
> knowledge base entries on which these checks depend.  I'm going to be very
> busy with work for the next 5 weeks and so I'd invite any of you that have
> access to Solaris boxes to have a play and see if the problems I experienced
> can be resolved.

Good news everyone,

I found the bug in gather-package-list.nasl and was able to retrieve a
package list from a Solaris box. The checks seem to have been executed as
well, but they don't seem to return a message just yet if I'm not
mistaken.

I've attached a KB of the test run in case anyone is interested.

The cause of the bug was the SuSE detection in gather-package-list.nasl;
it evaluated

("SUSE"><toupper(ssh_cmd(socket:sock, cmd:"cat /etc/SuSE-release")))

which is always true on most platforms (hint: Try 'cat
/etc/SuSE-release' on a non-SuSE system, uppercase the output of cat and
compare it to "SUSE"). I have commented out the SuSE test for now, it
would be great if someone with access to a SuSE system could write a
more reliable test.

Regards,

Michael

--