[Openvas-devel] Change Request #19: discussion open

Stjepan Gros sgros.ml at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:55:45 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Felix Wolfsteller
<felix.wolfsteller at intevation.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thursday 20 November 2008 12:23:33 you wrote:
>> What I wanted to suggest is that proposed code formatting should be
>> based on some other popular open source project. That way it will be
>> easier for newcomers to use it, especially if the given style is
>> accepted in a large number of projects. For that matter I would
>> propose using Linux Kernel guidelines. There is CodingStyle document
>> that can be transfferend to OpenVAS.
>
> Do you have a nice reference document for that? A quick search resulted in too
> many documents, each trying to summarize (their own) coding style.

It's included in each kernel release, but here is a link on a version
available on the Internet:

http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.27.6/Documentation/CodingStyle

And, while I'm at that, LXR is a great tool for cross referencing
source so it might be a good idea to use it on OpenVAS sometime in a
future.

>> The second suggestion is that it should be (relatively) easy to do
>> automatic reformatting using indent tool. The reason is that it's hard
>> to expect that newcomers, but even experienced users, will follow
>> closely formatting rules. Using indent the burden of style
>> checking/correcting could be automated.
>
> Tim and me had a tiny conversation about that (
> http://www.linux.hr/openvas/archive/index.php?d=2008-11-19#msg4375 ).
> Reformatting all the old code seems to be a bit destructive to me at the
> moment (should have been done directly at fork times). And for new files I
> would suggest that its up to the devoloper to use one or not. However, we
> could encourage the usage of one or another tool.
> But at the end, that is another discussion - whoever wants to summarize and
> give an opinion could open another thread. If the majority opts for
> automation and a specific tool here, I will of course include that in the
> compendium chapter.

Yes, it's definitely destructive to change existing code, especially
in a short time period. It will probably take some time unit majority
of the existing code is adjusted.

What I meant is for the new code submissions. Formatting can be
checked using something as:

1. patch source
2. do the copy
3. apply diff
4. see if a diff is too big and/or complex

Now, I know the things don't go so easy in practice, but at least
there is way to try to do it.

And BTW, my experience is that when I was reviewing patches, I was
losing too much time trying to align them to coding guidelines. That's
why I'm suggesting this approach. But them, some are more strict some
less, so it's only my opinion.

Stjepan