[Openvas-devel] Change Request #19: discussion open

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Mon Nov 24 09:54:04 CET 2008

On Samstag, 22. November 2008, Vlatko Kosturjak wrote:
> > > I'd much prefer tabs.  Any sensible editor can be configured to render them as
> > > required.
> > It's easier to type one tab instead of N spaces...
>
> One more vote for tab(s)...

oops ;-)

My rationale why to not use tabs is that in any community development,
you will have different use of tabs (2, 4, 6, 8).
In theory the editor should just show the code in the right way.
But in practice I've never seen  this work, because those who
use e.g. 8 sometime add a few spaces to make the code readable
or who use 2, sometimes they forget about using tab and just apply
2 spaces.
The code ends up less readable (you can easily see this if you
configure your editor to mark tabs explicitely).
The only basis (and the only(!) automatable one!) that can be agreed
on is no tabs. You can configure you editor to do so and will feel just like
you work with tabs.