[Openvas-devel] Change Request #19: discussion open

Felix Wolfsteller felix.wolfsteller at intevation.de
Thu Nov 27 09:40:26 CET 2008

Okay, to refuel the process, I summarize what was said about CR #19
( http://www.openvas.org/openvas-cr-19.html ).
I hope that I did not misunderstood or forgot any comment - correct me if i am
wrong.

1) Documentation/ Doxygen
Comment from Michael (likes it) and Jan (would like to have it mandatory). No
disagreement about the need of a documentation. Stepjan proposed to use LXN
some time in the future.

-> interpretation: pretty much agreed on initial proposal regarding doxygen
and the associated comment style.

2) Coding Style
* Existing guidelines:
Stjepan and Jan proposed to look at existing guidelines (other big projects/
Kernel/ GNU).
* Changing style in existing files:
Changing code format in "old" files is debated. Joey notes that
changing the style only "when substantial changes are made" would imply
commits that change style _and_ content, which is to be disliked as the
changes are hidden and difficult to detect.
* Prettifiers:
Usage of prettifier- tools is debated. Tendency to advocate usage of a tool
only for new files.
* Tabs/spaces:
Whether to use tabs or spaces seems to be a hot topic.
tim, vlatko and stjepan would prefer tabs. The pro- arguments so far are that
it is easier to type and that editors can be configured to display one '\t'
as n spaces.
jan-oliver favours spaces and argues that as tabs and spaces are often mixed
and various numbers for spaces are used for one tab, only the use of spaces
works in practice, and that editors can be configured to insert n spaces per
tab-key press.

-> interpretation: if and how old code shall be changed might be decided in
another change request.  No discussion about the proposed example file, but
generally a wish to use existing solutions.
Argumentation stronger for spaces, however the majority would like to use
spaces.

I would like to have a final state of the Change Request soon, so please set
by the space/tab conflict and add thoughts about the proposed example file or
references to any guideline that you enjoyed most.

felix

--
Felix Wolfsteller |  ++49-541-335 08 3451  |  http://www.intevation.de/
PGP Key: 39DE0100