[Openvas-devel] Voting on Change Request #18

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Fri Nov 28 09:17:05 CET 2008

On Donnerstag, 27. November 2008, Joey Schulze wrote:
> Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > IMHO it is a very important issue and I vote +1 on it.
>
> You're the only one who has voted on this issue.  What to do now?

the author usually votes +1 as well ;-)

> > I added the need to define a format for this filter data.
> > Specifying this is probably the first thing to start with.
>
> Do you see a problem of using the regular place, i.e. the openvasrc
> file, for the proper scope?

Basically openvasrc is a good choice.
However, note that there are many of them, for tasks, scopes etc.

So, we have to think about whether the filter rules are global
or per-task or per-scope.
I tend to say global, because if there is a false-positive for a system,
you won't want to see it in any of the reports.

> We only need script_id + host + new priority.

we need port as well.

> Having this information
> in the scope configuration gives us the benefit of having different
> scopes for the same task where the user is able to specify priorities
> differently.

hm, on the other hand you always need to copy a filter rules set
from one scope to another, possibly leading to inconsistencies in case
you edit rules in various scopes.
I think we (yet) do not gain much benefit from scope-wise rule sets.
What do others think?

Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner | ++49-541-335 08 30  |  http://www.intevation.de/