[Openvas-devel] Change Request #19: discussion open

Stjepan Gros sgros.ml at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 15:13:52 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Felix Wolfsteller
<felix.wolfsteller at intevation.de> wrote:
> Okay, to refuel the process, I summarize what was said about CR #19
> ( http://www.openvas.org/openvas-cr-19.html ).
> I hope that I did not misunderstood or forgot any comment - correct me if i am
> wrong.
>
> 1) Documentation/ Doxygen
> Comment from Michael (likes it) and Jan (would like to have it mandatory). No
> disagreement about the need of a documentation. Stepjan proposed to use LXN
> some time in the future.
>
> -> interpretation: pretty much agreed on initial proposal regarding doxygen
> and the associated comment style.
>
> 2) Coding Style
> * Existing guidelines:
> Stjepan and Jan proposed to look at existing guidelines (other big projects/
> Kernel/ GNU).
> * Changing style in existing files:
> Changing code format in "old" files is debated. Joey notes that
> changing the style only "when substantial changes are made" would imply
> commits that change style _and_ content, which is to be disliked as the
> changes are hidden and difficult to detect.
> * Prettifiers:
> Usage of prettifier- tools is debated. Tendency to advocate usage of a tool
> only for new files.
> * Tabs/spaces:
> Whether to use tabs or spaces seems to be a hot topic.
> tim, vlatko and stjepan would prefer tabs. The pro- arguments so far are that
> it is easier to type and that editors can be configured to display one '\t'
> as n spaces.
> jan-oliver favours spaces and argues that as tabs and spaces are often mixed
> and various numbers for spaces are used for one tab, only the use of spaces
> works in practice, and that editors can be configured to insert n spaces per
> tab-key press.
>
> -> interpretation: if and how old code shall be changed might be decided in
> another change request.  No discussion about the proposed example file, but
> generally a wish to use existing solutions.
> Argumentation stronger for spaces, however the majority would like to use
> spaces.
>
> I would like to have a final state of the Change Request soon, so please set
> by the space/tab conflict and add thoughts about the proposed example file or
> references to any guideline that you enjoyed most.

Additional thought about tabs versus spaces. It's easy to see where
are tabs, and where are the spaces in a file, just change rendering of
tabs, i.e. in vi

:set ts=4

:set ts=8

in both cases indentation should be preserved. If it's not, it will be
very obvious where... I use this to check if tabs were used in the
code and to eliminate all the spaces. Obviously, this can also be used
to check the other way around, but personally, I'm more fond of tabs.

And additional thought about number of columns. I think it's good
practice to limit maximum number of characters per line because
otherwise, the person with biggest monitor and/or highest resolution wins.

Stjepan

P.S. I mistakenly (again!) pressed reply instead of 'reply all' so I'm
resending this mail with small clarifications added.