[Openvas-devel] Dropping NASL_LEVEL

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Mon Apr 6 16:52:21 CEST 2009

Hi,

I wonder whether we should simply drop NASL_LEVEL entirely.
Which in fact means that all the if-clauses used in .nasl-skripts
can be resolved.

OpenVAS started with a level 2300. Also we introduced
OPENVAS_NASL_LEVEL because we do not want to mix
up with Nessus.
So, for OpenVAS users the NASL_LEVEL conditionals are
always true anyway.

I guess, this primarily concerns those who try to keep
NASL-Skripts compatible with Nessus. Any opinion from your side
on this idea to drop the NASL_LEVEL.
Would it cause problems?

Why not keep NASL_LEVEL? Well, it is confusing to new users, comsumes
code lines and adds to complexity of some scripts.

Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner | ++49-541-335083-0  |  http://www.intevation.de/