[Openvas-devel] Changes to cache file handling

Stjepan Gros sgros.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:40:29 CET 2009

Ok, I'm allive so to give some small comments on this. :)

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner
<jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just comitted some further changes on the handling of cache files (.desc).
> It still needs some testing whether it works compatible with openvas-server
> 2.0.0 release. The main change is that the cache files now have different names
> (".desc" now appended, instead of replacing ".nasl" by ".desc").

This could cause slight compatibility problem (annoyance better to
say), not visible at first. Namely, existing cache with .desc will be
left and not deleted, while the new one will be created with
.nasl.desc extension. This should be taken care of during the upgrade.

> In fact this is yet another patch that was derived from Stjepans patch
> for CR #24 (subdirs for plugins).
>
> Next planned patch is to finalize changes to openvas-libraries so
> that it allows for the new feature and can be released eventually as 2.0.1.
> Stjepans patch then extends to -libnasl and -server.

Should this be better versioned as 2.1 because the third numeral
usually means only bug fixes and minor changes?

> The reason the progress is slow is that I had to do several cleanups of the
> code.

Well, I see this progresses well. :) There is one optimization when
cache is created that could be made. Namely, when plugin is loaded and
parsed then it's stored in cache and then reloaded. I have to see if
this reloading could be avoided. This will save one disk access (even
though it is cached by the OS).

SG