[Openvas-devel] CR #40 - find_service.c

Jan-Oliver Wagner Jan-Oliver.Wagner at greenbone.net
Fri Sep 4 10:24:06 CEST 2009

Hi Thomas,

On Friday 07 August 2009 23:28:29 Thomas Reinke wrote:
> We've put up a CR (http://www.openvas.org/openvas-cr-40.html)
> to facilitate discussion on the concept of replacing the existing
> find_service.c

thanks a lot for this!

> In the CR, while I make note of the ability for us to replace
> find_service.c, there are certain issues with doing that.
>
> I've documented the problems, while also proposing an altered
> approach that allows us to avoid these problems while still
> meeting our goals of
>
>     a) being able to update detection methods with the script feed
>     b) leveraging nmap's service detection database.
>
> Please read and comment.

I completely agree with the porposed approach.

The question whether to distribute a signature file via the feed
can be answered later and even easily implemented. So that does
not prevent us from starting to work on this.

Would you volunteer to implement the new NASL script?

Greenbone Networks GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrück
AG Osnabrück, HR B 202460 | Geschäftsführer: Lukas Grunwald, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner