[Openvas-devel] Preparing OpenVAS 3.0: features and timeline

Felix Wolfsteller felix.wolfsteller at intevation.de
Mon Sep 14 09:39:46 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 10:26:26 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> I'd like to stress that the renaming should really be done
> for the sake of consistent and easy to understand wording.
>
> On Thursday 03 September 2009 15:24:27 Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > What I like to change for 3.0 also:
> >
> > * rename openvasd to openvassd for scan daemon.
> >   This would be in line with openvasmd (manager daemon)
> >   and openvascd (configuration daemon)
> >
> > * In fact, rename "openvas-server" to "openvas-scanner"
> >    because "server" is a bit too generic.

tbh, openvas-scanner is a bit too specific, as currently openvasd does not
only do the scanning.
I agree in that the 'scanner' part should be stripped down to do just that
(and i guess the pentesters will be quite happy about that).

This also touches the consistency issue: Where there is a 'xyz-client' I
expect to find either a 'xyz' or an 'xyz-server'.

To me, openvas-scanner is a 4.0 thing where the client (to be understood
as "user interface") does not talk directly to openvas-server anymore.

--felix

--
Felix Wolfsteller |  ++49 541 335083-783  |  http://www.intevation.de/
PGP Key: 39DE0100